Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Speech

Recently in class, we had to do a public speaking exercise. We had to talk for forty five seconds on a topic of choice without using "filler" words such as, "uhhh.." "umm.." or "like." As adolescents, the moment we heard that we knew it was going to be a hard task. We have become so accustomed to using these words to fill in those awkward moments or as a way to gather our thoughts. But not only is it a flaw on my generation, but also of elder generations. There have been many times when adults have suffered from the same problem. It wasn't till now that I realized how distracting it could actually be. When I hear a lecture when a person is constantly using fillers, I find my self counting the amount of times he/she says a particular word rather than the content of the speech. It is something that we all need to work on. I wonder if this is a reoccuring problem from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment